Sunday 9 June 2013

Nostalgia Blog #7: Mini-block (13th January 2013)


This is a biggie. It's a reflection on my 4-week mini placement in school in winter term, before we pulled out the big guns and I was launched into a 4-month placement from January until May. This is possibly my favourite blog to reflect on - how sweet and innocent I once was.

----------

My experience on mini-block has left me in an excellent position to start the main block placement - I feel clear about my targets and what I need to improve on, and have more confidence in my own ability as a trainee teacher.


There is truly no substitute for being in school day in, day out, and following the progression of your students on a regular basis. I was truly plunged into the deep end, as I taught my first lesson on my second day of the four week mini-block placement. I was not given the opportunity to teach starters or plenaries discretely, as my mentor wanted me to experience taking over 2 classes as if I were their teacher for the rest of the term. This taught me one of the many lessons I learned about 'teacher presence'. Coming from a performing arts background, I learned on mini-block that I could use the presentation skills I'd gained from this to convey a confident approach to my classes - establishing my own 'teacher presence'. Teaching a 6 lesson sequence to Year 8, and an 8 lesson sequence to Year 7, with no experience of any teaching contact with those classes before, was truly intimidating. However, I am grateful to my mentor for recognising that I needed to be removed from my comfort zone if I was to establish confidence and authority in the classroom.

It would have been impossible for me to take on 6 hours teaching a week immediately had I not been fortunate enough to observe excellent practice across a range of subject areas beforehand (on Tuesdays and Thursdays). A particular highlight was watching the use of ICT in the Science labs to show how hydrocarbons bond - the students were extremely proficient at using animation, which I found astounding and hope to capitalise on in my new placement (particularly as I will have an IWB this time around!). Behaviour management was consistently excellent across all lessons I observed, particularly that of the Head of Maths. He was a real lesson in how to plan for positive behaviour, rather than use it punitively. He circulated almost constantly throughout the lesson, had prepared all his resources far in advance, and used ICT and games to make the lesson really engaging. Some of the pupils in that lesson were in my form, and I had seen how many 'red' comments they were given in their planner on a weekly basis - but the Maths lesson was so well-planned and executed in such a comfortable environment that there were no problems. I believe that the excellent behaviour management I observed was the main reason why my own behaviour management was far better than I had anticipated it to be, and was rooted in planning for positive behaviour.

The challenges of teaching 2 full SOWs, as well as team teaching Year 9 twice a week, and running weekly Y13 revision sessions, were issues with time management. I learned to plan effectively by using resources that already existed within the department, although I still need to improve this if I am planning on sleeping at all before June. I am very grateful that I was given a relatively intense teaching load on mini-block - knowing that I did in fact manage to teach 7-8hours a week makes me feel slightly less apprehensive about taking on a half timetable during main block. However, there are some areas of my planning that need to be seriously improved and I will dedicate the time to making sure these are achieved. For example, my differentiation is not as strong as it should be and I often felt like not all of the class were making as much progress as possible. I am lucky to be going to a school which is fully mixed-ability, as this will necessitate that my differentiation improves, and I will be able to learn from strong practitioners in this field.

Another issue with teaching 2 SOWs was that I had no knowledge of one of the topics, and very little knowledge of the other (English Civil War and Norman Conquest respectively). It was a steep learning curve about time management - I could not afford to spend days researching each topic as I would have done at university. I had to learn to use existing resources and educational books and websites to boil the topic down to the essentials. This was frustrating for me as I have a tendency to want to know absolutely everything before I stand in front of a class to teach it. However, my mentor assured me that the knowledge would come cumulatively, with time, and was generous enough to give me a whole pack of resources that he had created to help me to have some frame of reference for unfamiliar topics.

I really enjoyed getting involved in the wider life of the school and hope to continue this at my next school. It was wonderful to help at Drama Club and share my personal passion with pupils, as well as getting to know them outside of the classroom. In particular, this helped me to connect with a troublesome Year 9 pupil and manage his behaviour more effectively in my classes. I was also very lucky to work with an excellent Y8 form tutor, who was generous enough to let me take charge of the form for 3 of the 4 weeks of mini-block. He was almost like a second mentor, helping me to understand the daily admin of school life - money for trips, letters home and so on. He also gave me the opportunity to teach PHSE and Citizenship to the form, as well as run Literacy Circles, check planners, and organise the Y8 stall at the Xmas Fair. I have always seen myself as a more 'academic' sort of teacher, but thanks to the experience of becoming a form tutor for 3 weeks, I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the pastoral care side of school life just as much as the history side.

I learned so much on mini-block that it is impossible to articulate it all. I have worked harder and more intensely than I have ever done in my life, but with excellent support from my mentor and my 'second mentor' in form time. I learned the value of collaboration and of learning from colleagues through observation and asking advice. Most importantly, and something that ties teaching together for me, is the importance of getting to know the pupils you teach. It is this that I am most excited about for main block, as the longer placement will allow a greater connection to the pupils I teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment