Sunday 9 June 2013

Nostalgia Blog #4: GCSEs (2nd November 2012)


Learning how to teach GCSE History amidst the announcements about the new 'EBacc' replacements is a challenge. On the one hand, it's essential to know about GCSE History because EBaccs will not be in place for the next few years, and indeed no announcement at all has been made as to when History will become examinable by EBacc. This means I am still fully committed to teaching GCSE History to the best of my ability. On the other hand, I wish to stay up to date with the new proposals so that when the time comes to teach to a new syllabus, it will be easier for me to adapt the teaching styles I'll already have practiced at GCSE. 

Another aspect I have found interesting whilst observing and studying the teaching of GCSE History has been its similarities and differences with KS3 teaching. Theoretically, it was encouraging to work with HS in finding similar approaches to teaching at both levels- for example, differentiation, AfL, the use of ICT and so on. However, I have found that this approach has not been echoed in the classrooms that I have observed. For instance, at School B, KS3 lessons are always really interactive, engaging, and varied. At GCSE, the lessons I have observed have relied heavily on copying from the board, or from PowerPoints, to ensure the pupils have notes in their book. However, there is no chance for the pupils to give feedback, and I could envision this approach leading to alienation and making the revision process more difficult. If the pupils don't understand what they have written down the first time round, how can they revise from those notes? It seems such a shame to me that the excellent teaching I have observed at KS3 by the same members of staff is thrown off because of perceived exam pressure.


However, in a school that I worked in before starting this course, School S, GCSE was taught extremely well, with engaging activities involving ICT, students teaching other students, fast-paced and varied lessons, and revision sessions set up at lunchtimes from the beginning of the year, so that students constantly revisited their knowledge. Our discussion last Wednesday about re-capping and revision methods reminded me of how effectively School S had set this revision framework right from the beginning of the course. This enabled the history department to strike the correct balance between really engaging lessons, and revision and exam technique. I know that not every teacher has the luxury of being able to run lunchtime clubs, but I would certainly adapt this approach using some of the methods HS suggested to make revision a large part of my GCSE teaching. I particularly like the idea of discursive margins, as it enables constant communication between teacher and pupil, ensuring no pupil will get 'lost' in all the content!

Finally, another aspect of GCSE History that interested me was transition - both from KS3 and to A Level. There is an excellent display in one of the classrooms at School B aimed towards attracting students towards continuing the study of history, with pictures of famous people that studied history at university and quotes from them about how it helped them with their careers. Likewise, the humorous video HS showed us about appeasement would definitely have an impact on a Year 9 class! It was interesting to hear about the different methods you could use to attract pupils to study History at a higher level, especially because it is regarded as 'hard'. To me, the key is to make history engaging from the day they start in Year 7 to the day they finish (hopefully, at A2!). I will do this with personal enthusiasm, a push for high achievement, and varied, interesting lessons. I came from a secondary school where 60 pupils a year took A Level History, from a year of 120. I've been surprised to see smaller numbers so far on my PGCE and in my past experience, and hope to help raise the numbers of students taking post-KS3 History.

No comments:

Post a Comment