Sunday 9 June 2013

Nostalgia Blog #5: ICT (7th November 2012)


This is probably the area that has changed the most over my practice - I'm about to buy an iPad, have a blog and an active Twitter presence, and have learned from several of my excellent colleagues (notably Joshua B. Crozzington) all about how to use interesting apps to engage pupils in the classroom (demonstrated in the video here).




So, read this next one with a pinch of salt!

----------

Before starting this course, I was sceptical about the use of ICT in classrooms. I saw the value in using video clips or online sources, but intensely disliked PowerPoint presentations, lessons in the ICT room for no discernable purpose, and the sort of gimmicky educational tools available online (with the exception of the animated Henry VIII on activehistory.com, of course). 

However, the sheer enthusiasm and good practice demonstrated as a part of the university-based sessions have gone some way towards winning me over. The huge range of activities Suzy showed us threatened to confirm my suspicions that ICT could be used in an extremely gimmicky way, but also gave me some really good ideas for use in my own classroom. A particular favourite was 'Fakebook', which I'll certainly be using to investigate key historical figures, and I am also keen to use online quizzes for homework. Inevitably, PM's enthusiasm for Twitter has somewhat rubbed off on me, and I'm now thinking through ways that I can incorporate a rolling Twitter account for use with my A Level revision class on mini-block so that they can ask me any questions they may have when they are not in school. Equally, Twitter is a fantastic way to develop my CPD and I find myself becoming absorbed in random articles that PM sends out which grab my attention!

Yet this progressive and enthusiastic attitude that I was developing nicely in the first few weeks quickly met its match at my placement school, School B. There, the phrase 'death by PowerPoint' was illustrated to me as every lesson in the history department I observe seems to have an accompanying PowerPoint presentation which seems only to stop teachers having to write on the board. It was so refreshing to see a lesson which didn't use this technique (in the English dept)! There was also no real opportunity for students to create using ICT as a part of lessons - it was kept solely for the use of teachers when presenting in front of the class. We were shown how we, as teachers, might use ICT to create resources, but this left me wondering how to adapt the techniques we'd been shown to encourage pupils to use ICT to evidence their learning. 

Where ICT has proven very useful in school, though, is in two key areas. The first is literacy support - it has been invaluable for use with whole classes who need spelling or grammar support, as well as those who need the 'copy and paste' function it provides to structure their thoughts. This is something I will hope to build on, whilst not relying upon completely. It gives pupils confidence, and a way to express their often excellent thoughts in a coherent manner. The second place I've really appreciated ICT in school is for the register. The use of 'e-Portal' makes collating all the data about a pupil's attainment, attendance, background and behaviour so easy, and this has been very useful in creating my lesson plans for mini-block as teaching strategies for individual pupils have been logged to help colleagues. 

I am still ambivalent about ICT in schools. I am reluctant to throw myself headfirst into technology because I find it can often prove more of a hindrance than a help (especially in terms of behaviour, as the pupils become so distracted with the screen in front of them, or can easily get thrown off-topic when using the internet for research). I have established some key pointers for myself based on my personal experience and my observation in schools:

1) Plan the use of ICT carefully in order to maximise its potential. For example, get to know the computer room in order to create a new seating plan to control behaviour, or ensure that laptops are already set up in class to stop any unnecessary fiddling.
2) Do not use ICT just for the sake of it - ensure it links directly to a learning objective and outcome.
3) Hand ICT over to pupils as much as possible to make sure they are developing their skills as well as learning some content!
4) Be wary of PowerPoint - I am grateful to Paula for showing us that PowerPoint can be used productively (through our A Level revision resource activity) but I think I will still err on the side of caution with PowerPoint and try not to have it as the backbone of every lesson. It can be inflexible, text heavy and somewhat unoriginal.

I am looking forward to continuing my ICT action plan and finding more ICT activities that will suit both my teaching style and my pupils' needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment